Friday, November 14, 2008

What's your job?

What do you hear when you ask someone what their job is?

First, a bit of background...

I worked in the radio industry for most of my adult years. Now I have a great group of clients that use radio personalities to endorse their products/services. So now I interact with a lot of radio salespeople.

When I ask them what their job is, here's what I get...

"I'm an account executive for WXXX." Or..."I sell advertising for the leading AC station in Chicago." Or maybe, "I work for (insert Big Corporate Company) and represent the leading adult station in the market."

Why not this?

"I'm a storyteller, a connector. I help local business grow."

If I heard that, I'd say, "Tell me more"!

"Well, I find great companies, with unique products, and I help them tell their story--to thousands of people."

How do you do that?

"I connect businesses with customers by telling authentic, emotional stories on the radio. Real stories that spread--to an audience that is right for their product or service."

How's it going?

"I have great relationships with a lot of remarkable people who lead great companies. They work with me in all aspects of their marketing--because they trust me. They know I won't try to sell them something unless I'm convinced it will work for them. A lot of people think radio is dead, but I know better."

Sound corny? Not to me.

A business that looks for ideas, that surrounds itself with smart people, will love an answer like that.

So, what is it that you do?

No comments: