Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Who's On Your Wall?

About ten years ago I attended the annual managers' meetings for the company that employed me at the time.  It was in Las Vegas and there were about 500 of us.  At the annual gala dinner our entertainment was Jay Leno.  He was much funnier than on The Tonight Show (but I digress).  I worked for the executive who orchestrated Leno's appearance so he invited me to go backstage after the show and meet Jay.  There were about 10 of us backstage and Jay was very gracious, posing for pictures with each of us and asking sincere questions.  He couldn't have been nicer.

For several years I had that picture on my wall or on my desk.  And then one day it hit me.  "If Jay had a copy of this photo would he display it?"  Of course not.

So I took it down and put it in a box somewhere with the other pictures of me with "famous" people.  I thought I'd include it in this post but I can't find it.

Self-esteem, self-respect, and self-reliance come from within.  They're developed by overcoming obstacles, solving problems in a unique and creative way, and by making mistakes and learning from them.

Jay does many things better than me.  I do many things better than him.  And we both have a similar number of shortcomings.  We are equals.

You might have a picture on your wall of someone who doesn't know you.  Maybe you find inspiration when you look at it.  My challenge to you is to ask yourself if the inspiration you seek might be best if it comes from you.

Who's on your wall?  Whose wall are you on?





No comments: